Hackpads are smart collaborative documents. Join Hackpad Now.
12 days ago
Unfiled. Edited by Alex Hanson , Janet Mitts 12 days ago
Dan M Community Council Meeting Agenda and Notes for 11/27/2016
Alex H Meeting: Community Council 
Date: 11/27/2016
Location: FreeGeek Chicago
Facilitator: Janet Mitts
Note Taker: Alex Hanson
Time Keeper: Ken Greene
Vote Counter:
Attendees: See below.
Number of Eligible Voters:  9.
Dan M Last Meeting Agenda: [paste link to previous agenda/notes here]
James S About this Meeting: Our Meeting Guidelines and Code-of-Conduct are available online.
 
Alex H
  • Attendance:
 
James S
  • Introductions (Facilitator, Standing Item):
 
Alex H
  • Announcements:
Dan M
  • All CC attendees: Please review the meeting notes on hackpad later and if necessary edit for accuracy re the discussion that took place.
  • Non-CC attendees: These notes are to document what happened at the meeting. Please don't add commentary or other things that didn't happen at the meeting itself. If you wish to respond to something, please start a new hackpad doc or discuss it on FGC's google talk list.
Alex H
  • FreeGeek's Community Council now uses paper ballets to count votes. Each meeting needs a volunteer to count the votes.
  • Old Items:
IT Management Policy (Alex Hanson/Gabriel Rivera):
  • Tabled. Gabriel's got a new job and a new course of study. Hopefully some new details next week.
  • Follow our progress on the hackpad.
Hardware Grants Policy (Gabriel Rivera/Ken Greene):
  • Held after sale is finished.
  • Victor: It's good that Jason and Peter are doing inventory of the shed, so we know what we have to sell. 
Janet M FreeGeek Chicago Governance (Ken Greene):
Alex H
  • Deals with Ken's new proposed governance structure for FreeGeek (members of the board, staff and CC meet once a month to handle standard business). 
  • Ken: Held, until I have some more details in the new year. People are getting busy for the holidays.
  • Jason: Sounds good, present something soon.
  • Victor: Legal responsibility is a big part of this. Community will always be the center of the organization, but we need to be safe and stable for the long term.
  • Gabriel: CC has a good focus on safety. Without CC watching, the board would have to solve problems after the fact.
  • Dan: Under current system, staff has a voice, it just doesn't have a vote. Any NP, the staff has to do what the board says.
  • Victor: If 1% controls the organization, it's not fair. We need to fix it and work together, going forward.
  • Gabriel: volunteers who consistently attend CC are important, even if they're a small group within the org.
  • Ken: Change has to come, we just need to make sure it works well.
  • Jason (added after meeting): Use the 3 group system to draft a new constitution, and have a meeting to grab input to revise document. Not just from eligible voters  but from all people involved in FreeGeek.
  • New Items:
Inventory(Chen Yu/Jason/Peter): 
  • Jason and Chen Yu have been doing inventory in the parts area.
  • Need to sell large HDD like 1 TB, so we can make some money.
  • We've got plenty games and Xbox 360 gaming consoles that can be sold too.
  • We should sell the stuff. We don't have much money now, and we need to get some $$$
  • Need for better/cleaner policy on intake.
  • Need clearer keep/sell notation in our records, so that we know what is going out.
  • Dan: I think that the first priority is inventory, not identifying which things should be sold.
  • Valuation would be great, but get an inventory first.
  • Jason: Need to clear the clutter.
  • Gabriel: Need some better guidelines for keep/don't keep decisions.
  • Victor: Inventory is an accounting issue, and the responsibility of the board. We need inventory, then the board can make an informed decision. Please give us an inventory, then we can keep better track.
  • Chen Yu: What about online sales? Victor, Ken: We have that.
  • Wayne: Need guidelines for inventory, then they can go forward.
  • Victor: Stick to inventorying the shack, then give us a report afterwards.
  • Janet: Agreed.
  • Victor: Again, accounting issue. Find whats there, then report back. Pricing is later. Ken: Agreed?
  • Mario: Need an area for inventoried stuff that is low-quality. Need Bob R and Will around to review this stuff.
 
Training Classes (Gabriel):
  • We did a Linux Command Line Class and a Using your FreeGeek Computer.
  • I'm going to make some more documentation for these classes.
  • I think people want classes in networking and more advanced topics.
  • I'll work with Victor on setting a schedule up for these events.
  • Dan: Problem was, we were short on people in the past. We need at least 2 command line intro classes before we do 1 command line intermediate class. Scheduling is very important!!
Holiday Sale(Jason):
  • Victor: We don't have the numbers yet. Wait until we have a report.
  • Victor: I'll make a report on the sale before the year is out.
  • Victor: In the future, the board will announce what has been happening over a year, and post some possible goals for the new year.
  • Held:
 
  • Next Community Council Meeting Date: 
  • 12/11/16
  • Last meeting of the year.
  • Shout-outs and Damn the Man:
Janet M
  • Janet gives shout-out to all volunteers & staff. We're an unbeatable team. The minute we hear "all hands on deck", we start  to function like a well oiled machine.
Alex H
  • Gabriel: Mario, for auditing the orientation class.
  • Dan: Gabriel, for teaching orientation and classes for many days. Also shout out to rick for teaching classes.
  • Mike: Paul, for getting better. Alex for coming back.
  • Ken: Bob, Matt, Evelyn, for setting up the sale.
  • Alex: Thanks to Michael for cleaning the washrooms. Thanks to everybody doing inventory.
  • Janet: Bob for printing meeting agenda.
 
26 days ago
Unfiled. Edited by Alex Hanson , Gabriel Rivera 26 days ago
Meeting: Community Council 
Date: 11/13/2016
Location: FreeGeek Chicago
Facilitator: Janet Mitts
Note Taker: Alex Hanson
Time Keeper: Ken Greene
Vote Counter:
Attendees: See the photo below.
Number of Eligible Voters:  10
 
 
  • All CC attendees: Please review the meeting notes on hackpad later, and if necessary edit for accuracy regarding the discussion that took place.
  • Non-CC attendees: These notes are to document what happened at the meeting. Please don't add commentary or other things that didn't happen at the meeting itself. If you wish to respond to something, please start a new hackpad document or discuss it on FGC's google talk list.
 
Ken: I've got some fliers here (reads out the details on the fliers). Any questions, ask Bob S. or Ken.
Ken: We'd like to all the old desktop computers out by the end of the year.
Ken: Please take some fliers and give them out to your friends.
Dan: Does "Cash Only" apply to reduced priced desktops? Bob S.: Only in the desktop area. Laptops can be paid for by other methods.
Jason: Victor said that we need the money, so we should cut prices on our high-end stuff.
Ken: I'll work with volunteers in making an inventory sheet so that we can check customers out more quickly.
IT Management Policy (Alex Hanson/Gabriel Rivera):
  • Making a policy and a working group for our IT improvement (Alex H., Gabriel R., Will, Lucian,other assorted volunteers). 
  • Making sure that operations continue, even as volunteers and staff come and go.
  • Possible Deliverables:
  • Creating a documentation system (Open KM). ->
  • Backup System/Disaster Recovery/Business Continuity Plan.
  • Building an application server (using virtualization).
  • A written proposal will be ready to present to the next session of community council.
Hardware Grants Policy (Gabriel Rivera):
Hardware Grants: requests for hardware from other nonprofit organizations.
Progress: Gabriel created an online form for prospective recipients.
Next actions: 
  • Working with Victor on this. 
  • Making sure that we have enough hardware to give out. 
  • Possibly offering a purchase (at a reduced rate). 
  • Working w/ Ken to adding the Google form to the current website. 
  • Setting a policy for responding to these requests (authentication, response, etc).
Dan: Is the form live? Can we check it out? Gabriel: yes, on the previous meeting's hackpad.
 
FreeGeek Chicago Governance (Ken Greene)
Problem of difference between legally binding charter and FreeGeek's constitution. 
Leads to difficulty getting things done. Also makes getting board insurance (protection from liability) difficult. 
Suggesting a tripartite structure (Community Representatives, Board of Directors, Employees) instead, which would be legally easier to deal with. 
Jason: High level governance: legal issues, finances vs Low Level governance: donations, etc. 
Ken: Sure, but we need to get something soon that is both effective, legal and respects the history of community leadership at FreeGeek. 
Gabriel: Sounds like a good idea. Getting some projects done has been difficult due to figuring out who is in charge of what.
Dan: If we approve this three part structure, is there any chance that staff will approve this? They tend to be busy (because they have other work to do, but).
Ken: Yes. A representative would be mandatory. Group meetings would be once a month. With staff membership in the decision making process, staff attitude would be improved and they'd be more responsive. 
Ken: efficiency is important. Finances are bad, and we need more sales and successful projects.
Jason: Do you have a possible draft of a new constitution?
Ken: Not yet. But hoping to do it soon
Dan: Include CC in new bylaws? Board members already participate in CC, so there's already board participation in decision-making.
Ken: Board wasn't set up right by founders, therefore Janet got stuck out as a figurehead. Legal target if anything goes wrong. Need to get her protected, and get a more effective way to make decisions at speed.
Erick: When I got here, I thought the CC governed the org. I thought the board was a figurehead.
Gabriel: sounds good to me. organizations need to change over time.
Ken: I've been consulting a lawyer for advice on this program. 
Alex: It's an acceptable idea to me, as long as: 
  • There is a document in front of us that we can discuss. 
  • Board handles staff review and HR. 
  • Staff reports regularly.
Dan: Reporting was already mandated in the old constitution. What makes you so sure that this new constitution will make sure that happens?
Ken: Any serious objections, talk to me after the meeting. I'll talk to the staff and board in the last meeting of the year and relay any concerns.
Gabriel: Our new documentation system may make building a new organizational structure easier.  
 
  • New Items:
Graphics Cards (Jason/Peter):
Jason: Peter and I have a Google Spreadsheet of all the graphics cards we've tested.
Jason: We want to do some more inventory of the shed.
Janet: Work with me on this, because I know how people get around here. Politics can be messy here. 
Gabriel: As long as you let everyone know what yr working on, everything will go along.
Alex: Can you work on optical drives and motherboards next?
Jason and Alex will work on making the Google Spreadsheet more available to the public. 
 
Underage Volunteers & Waivers (Gabriel Rivera):
Underage students are usually good, but some can be flaky (playing w/cellphones during safety lectures, etc). I'm concerned that they won't bring in their waivers next time, then get hurt and cause trouble for FreeGeek. 
Request: Ask new members if they've submitted waivers during the community meeting.
Ken: New website, using CiviCRM will throw a flag when people haven't submitted their waivers.
Jason: Speed up orientation so that younger folks don't tune out.
Janet: I'm always checking in on the younger folks and making sure they're well behaved.
 
  • Held:
  • Any discussions about hardware donations to other organizations will be continued after the November 26th sale is finished.
  • We'll talk about Matt and Jarrod's Alternate rewards policy after the sale is finished. Ken will talk with Matt and Jarrod about this, next time he sees them.
 
  • Next Community Council Meeting Date: 
  • 11/27/16
 
  • Shout-outs and Damn the Man:
  • Janet gives Shout-out to all volunteers & staff. We're not ancient or zealous. We can be very agreeable over some Peanut Butter & Jelly!
  • Alex: Gabriel, for taking care of orientation.
  • Ken: Janet, Alex, Bob for running CC.
 
40 days ago
Unfiled. Edited by Evelyn Lopez , Dan Marco 40 days ago
Dan M
  •  Is it "Black Friday" or "Small Business Saturday?" The description below suggests both by themselves.
Evelyn L
  • Staff set up a timeline for the sale to be on Saturday. As far as i understand FGC will be closed that Friday.
 
Alex H
  • Agreed. Maynard and Robert do a good job, but everyone isn't at that level yet.
 
  • Last meeting, we talked about issues with our network/server infrastructure.
 
  • Process/ Set of Procedures: We want to make sure all work here is coordinated and nobody breaks anyone else's work. 
 
  • Gabriel: Shout out to Howard, for power supply supervision.
 
40 days ago
Unfiled. Edited by Alex Hanson 40 days ago
Alex H IT Management Implementation
Purpose:
To implement an IT solution to support Free Geek’s daily operations, and document the long term strategic goals for IT management.
Project Objectives:
  • Develop and implement an infrastructure solution for FreeGeek’s daily operations.
  • Develop and implement a disaster recovery solution.
  • Develop and implement a network administration strategy.
  • Networking hardware upgrades.
  • (HP managed switch is OK, Router may need something better)
  • Router and switch configuration
  • Develop and implement a system administration strategy.
  • Server hardware upgrades.
  • Application server configuration. 
  • Dell PowerEdge R720 as a virtual machine host
  • HP 2950: Backups and Open KM. Asset/Config Management.
Project Deliverables:
  • IT Management Policy
  • FreeGeek Daily Operations Procedures
  • Business Continuity Plan
  • Disaster Recovery Policy and Procedures
  • Backup and Restoration Documentation
  • Network Administration Documentation (Open KM)
  • System Administration Documentation (Open KM)
Project Manager:
  • Gabriel Rivera 
Project Stakeholders:
  • FreeGeek Board of Directors
  • FreeGeek Community Council
  • FreeGeek Volunteers
  • Will, Lucian, Mike, etc, etc. 
  • FreeGeek Community
  • People that donate to FreeGeek
  • People that purchase from FreeGeek
  • People that attend FreeGeek classes
  • FreeGeek Director of IT Operations 
  • Alex Hanson
 
40 days ago
Unfiled. Edited by Alex Hanson 40 days ago
  • Proposal:  Evelyn Lopez, may at her own discretion, offer a single Deal of the Week per week that has an up to 30% discount. (The extra percentage is in order to give leeway for prices, so that they can be rounded to $5 or $10 increments.)
 
  • Erick: Mario, for not falling asleep once during the whole meeting.
Alex H
  •  Everyone laughed very hard at that...
  • Dan: Gabriel for teaching Orientation part 1 by himself.
  • Alex: Damn the Man: Our old slow fileserver! KDE, in general! People being stuck in a Windows-centric mindset! 
 
 
40 days ago
Unfiled. Edited by Alex Hanson 40 days ago
Template: Community Council Meeting Agenda and Notes for XX/XX/XXXX
 
46 days ago
Unfiled. Edited by Dan Marco 46 days ago
  • Is there dust and spiderwebs on the inside? (use canned air and/or the vacuum cleaner to get them out if so).
 
Dan M
 

Contact Support



Please check out our How-to Guide and FAQ first to see if your question is already answered! :)

If you have a feature request, please add it to this pad. Thanks!


Log in / Sign up