Hackpads are smart collaborative documents. .

Janet Mitts

117 days ago
Unfiled. Edited by Alex Hanson , Janet Mitts 117 days ago
Dan M Community Council Meeting Agenda and Notes for 11/27/2016
 
Alex H Meeting: Community Council 
Date: 11/27/2016
Location: FreeGeek Chicago
Facilitator:
Note Taker:
Time Keeper:
Vote Counter:
Attendees: See below.
Number of Eligible Voters:  
Dan M Last Meeting Agenda: [paste link to previous agenda/notes here]
James S About this Meeting: Our Meeting Guidelines and Code-of-Conduct are available online.
 
Alex H
  • Attendance:
Alex H
  • Pull out a sheet of paper. 
  • Have participants sign their name on it. 
  • Take a cellphone photo of the sheet, then add it here in this document.
 
James S
  • Introductions (Facilitator, Standing Item):
 
Alex H
  • Announcements:
Dan M
  • All CC attendees: Please review the meeting notes on hackpad later and if necessary edit for accuracy re the discussion that took place.
  • Non-CC attendees: These notes are to document what happened at the meeting. Please don't add commentary or other things that didn't happen at the meeting itself. If you wish to respond to something, please start a new hackpad doc or discuss it on FGC's google talk list.
Alex H
  • FreeGeek's Community Council now uses paper ballets to count votes. Each meeting needs a volunteer to count the votes.
  • Old Items:
IT Management Policy (Alex Hanson/Gabriel Rivera):
 
Hardware Grants Policy (Gabriel Rivera):
 
Janet M FreeGeek Chicago Governance (Ken Greene)
 
Alex H
  • New Items:
 
  • Held:
 
  • Next Community Council Meeting Date: 
 
  • Shout-outs and Damn the Man:
Janet M Janet gives shout-out to all volunteers & staff. We're an unbeatable team. The minute we hear "all hands on deck", we start  to function like a well oiled machine!
 
131 days ago
Unfiled. Edited by Alex Hanson , Janet Mitts 131 days ago
Dan M Community Council Meeting Agenda and Notes for 11/13/2016
 
Alex H Meeting: Community Council 
Date: 11/13/2016
Location: FreeGeek Chicago
Facilitator:
Note Taker:
Time Keeper:
Vote Counter:
Attendees: See below.
Number of Eligible Voters:  
Dan M Last Meeting Agenda: [paste link to previous agenda/notes here]
James S About this Meeting: Our Meeting Guidelines and Code-of-Conduct are available online.
 
Alex H
  • Attendance:
Alex H
  • Pull out a sheet of paper. 
  • Have participants sign their name on it. 
  • Take a cellphone photo of the sheet, then add it here in this document.
 
James S
  • Introductions (Facilitator, Standing Item):
 
Alex H
  • Announcements:
Dan M
  • All CC attendees: Please review the meeting notes on hackpad later and if necessary edit for accuracy re the discussion that took place.
  • Non-CC attendees: These notes are to document what happened at the meeting. Please don't add commentary or other things that didn't happen at the meeting itself. If you wish to respond to something, please start a new hackpad doc or discuss it on FGC's google talk list.
Alex H
  • FreeGeek's Community Council now uses paper ballets to count votes. Each meeting needs a volunteer to count the votes.
 
  • Old Items:
November 26th Sale:
 
Alternate Rewards Policy (Jarrod Simpson/Matt Washington):
 
IT Management Policy (Alex Hanson/Gabriel Rivera):
 
Hardware Grants Policy (Gabriel Rivera):
 
Janet M FreeGeek  Chicago Governance (Ken G)
 
Alex H
  • New Items:
Graphics Cards (Jason/Peter):
 
  • Held:
 
  • Next Community Council Meeting Date: 
 
  • Shout-outs and Damn the Man:
Janet M Janet gives Shout-out to all volunteers & staff. We're not ancient or zealous. We can be very agreeable over some Peanut Butter & Jelly!
Alex H
  •  
 
145 days ago
Dan M Community Council Meeting Agenda and Notes for 10/30/2016
Alex H Meeting: Community Council 
Date: 10/30/2016
Location: FreeGeek Chicago
Facilitator: Janet Mitts
Note Taker: Alex Hanson
Time Keeper: Gabriel Rivera
Vote Counter: Bob Stein
Attendees: See below.
Number of Eligible Voters: 7  
Last Meeting Agenda: 10/16/16.
James S About this Meeting: Our Meeting Guidelines and Code-of-Conduct are available online.
 
Alex H
  • Attendance:
 
James S
  • Introductions (Facilitator, Standing Items):
 
Alex H
  • Announcements:
Dan M
  • All CC attendees: Please review the meeting notes on hackpad later and if necessary edit for accuracy re the discussion that took place.
  • Non-CC attendees: These notes are to document what happened at the meeting. Please don't add commentary or other things that didn't happen at the meeting itself. If you wish to respond to something, please start a new hackpad doc or discuss it on FGC's google talk list.
Alex H
  • FreeGeek's Community Council now uses paper ballets to count votes. Each meeting needs a volunteer to count the votes.
Birthday-Ween:
  • Yesterday, FreeGeek celebrated its' 11th anniversary and Halloween.
Power Supply Teardown:
  • Volunteers: Don't tear down power supplies unless you have been instructed how to do it.
  • Staff and Supervolunteers: Make sure there is someone watching new volunteers so that they don't tear down power supplies in the wrong way, or tear sheet metal in a dangerous way. 
Alex H
  •  Thanks to Howard for watching teardown and making sure that people tear things down the right way.
  • Yisrael: We need signs that say "If you don't know, ask!"
  • Agreed Action: Make sure someone experienced is always helping in Teardown. or: don't tear down power supplies if there are a lot of green volunteers in Teardown.
  • Old Items:
Proposed Policy on Visitors (Dan Marco):
  • Discussed previously, so it can be voted on today.
  • Proposal: Visitors shouldn't have to do orientation if they are only going to be here once, but they should have to sign the waiver and agree to the code of conduct.
  • Vote: 7/0/0. Passed
Proposed Policy on the Deal of the Week (Dan Marco):
  • Discussed previously, can be voted on.
Dan M
  • Proposal:  Evelyn Lopez, may at her own discretion, offer a single Deal of the Week per week that has an up to 30% discount. (The extra percentage is in order to give leeway for prices, so that they can be rounded to $5 or $10 increments.) Once the deal is sold, it's gone. 
Alex H
  • Vote: 7/0/0. Passed Again.
Black Friday Sale (Victor):
Dan M
  •  Is it "Black Friday" or "Small Business Saturday?" The description below suggests both by themselves.
Victor O
  • Friday November 25th during regular hours.
  • Special prices and sales will be extended until FreeGeek closes on holiday break.
  • Holiday Party is schedule for December 18th.
  • Goals:
  • Sales – $5,000
  • Units Sold – 70
  • New Volunteers – 25
  • Staff believes if volunteer wants to help they should come before the sale and volunteer.
Alex H
  • Volunteers should sign up before the event.
Victor O
  • Form of payment - Cash only.
Alex H
  • Board & Staff are working on a better solution for accepting payments in the future. Paypal has been problematic.
Dan M
  •  "No rewards either" should be explicitly stated, assuming it's a part of this.
  • Also, my assumption is that the Cash Only policy is just for the BF/SBS sale, not the "Rest of the Year" sale, is that correct?
Victor O
  • No online sales.
  • Stations available to make payments:        TBA
Alex H
  • Paid Staff will collect the money.
  • Yisrael: Don't collect money near the front door.
Victor O
  • Stations available for customers to try equipment:
  • More than 2 stations should be available.
  • Staff will limit the amount of customer on the building area.
  • No limit in the purchase of desktops.
  • Sale campaign committee
  • Staff is not clear who will make up this group.
Alex H
  • Who would like to help out?
Victor O
  • Staff does not need a budget.
  • Flyer will be designed in-house.
  • Staff will promote the event via social media, groups and organizations contacts, and volunteers.
  • Staff want volunteer to work on QA every Friday and Saturday until all the systems waiting to be checked are completed.  
  • Staff belief that Dan and Alex should have a say in this decision since they are the ones dealing directly with the volunteers.
  • List of staff that will be present during the event:
  • Evelyn
  • Terry (maybe)
  • Matt
  • Bob
  • List of inventory of items for sale:
  • Jarrod will do a spreadsheet of the inventory for sale.
  • List of volunteers that will be helping during the event:
  • Staff will need to pass a sign up sheet.
  • List of material needed for the sale.
  • None
  • Diagram of the setup for the event:
  • Door – build area – Table A (desktops) – Table B (monitors) – Table C (testing) – Laptop Room – Register.
  • Time-line
Alex H
  • Friday and Sunday leading to sale – QA by experienced volunteers until the event.
  • Alex will get some of the volunteers who are experienced to QA stuff.
Dan M
  • I'd like to reiterate my previously stated concern about this. Many of our volunteers don't build well [yet, hopefully] and by extension can't QA at all. Last year several items that  should have failed QA were passed by QA and sold.
Alex H
  • Agreed. Maynard and Robert do a good job, but everyone isn't at that level yet.
Dan M
  • Signing off. Have a tolerable meeting!
Victor O
  • Wednesday November 23rd – Prep.
  • Saturday November 26th – Sale and Clean up
  • Wednesday November 30th – Staff meeting – Feedback on sale and start of Holiday Sale
  • The sale will continue until FreeGeek closes for the holidays (Dec 18th).
Alex H Hardware Grants Policy (Gabriel):
  • Several non-profit organizations want hardware from FreeGeek.
  • Meant to get rid of our cheaper computers, and get friendly with similar non-for-profits.
  • Meant to get us some social media publicity.
  • There are some ways that this process could be improved.
  • Here is a link to a Google Form that Gabriel has been working on for organizations that want hardware donations from us.
  • It's a work in progress.
...
159 days ago
Unfiled. Edited by Alex Hanson , Dan Marco , Janet Mitts 159 days ago
Dan M Community Council Meeting Agenda and Notes for 10/16/2016
 
Alex H Meeting: Community Council 
Date: 10/16/2016
Location: FreeGeek Chicago
Facilitator: Janet Mitts
Note Taker: Alex Hanson
Time Keeper: Ken Greene.
Vote Counter:
Attendees: 10.
Number of Eligible Voters:  
Last Meeting Agenda: 10/02/16
James S About this Meeting: Our Meeting Guidelines and Code-of-Conduct are available online.
 
Alex H
  • Attendance:
 
James S
  • Introductions (Facilitator, Standing Item):
 
Alex H
  • Announcements:
Dan M
  • All CC attendees: Please review the meeting notes on hackpad later and if necessary edit for accuracy re the discussion that took place.
  • Non-CC attendees: These notes are to document what happened at the meeting. Please don't add commentary or other things that didn't happen at the meeting itself. If you wish to respond to something, please start a new hackpad doc or discuss it on FGC's google talk list.
Alex H
  • FreeGeek's Community Council now uses paper ballets to count votes. Each meeting needs a volunteer to count the votes.
 
  • Old Items:
Birthday-Ween (Oct 29th):
  • Costume Party, potluck, pizza if people have any money, etc.
  • Anything else we need to discuss before this event?
  • Gabriel: Where do I sign up to bring food? Janet: Sign up at the front desk.
  • Jason: Can I bring pre-cooked stuff? Gabriel: Soda? Janet: Sure!
  • [Digression on food that people could bring]
Dan M Requested Donation from the Greater Englewood Community Development Corporation:
  • Discussion continued from the last meeting. Are there any updates?
Alex H
  • From Matt "Misery" Washington: "A guy from the Greater Englewood Community Development Corporation is looking for a donation of peripherals. Namely, they're looking for VGA cables, keyboards, and mice. I figure FGC can spare up to 200 cables (we've well over 400 and were probably going to just cut them, anyway) and up to 100 keyboards (I'm assuming you've seen the shelves filled with keyboards). Mice are a bit trickier since we've only a bin or two of those, as far as I know."
  • Victor: I'm working on a donation request form for future donations. This will make sure that any organizations requesting hardware from us are legitimate. Signature from board members at GECDC, etc.
  • Dan: That's a later discussion, let's discuss this specific issue, then talk about improving the general process later in the meeting.
  • Victor: I'll talk to Matt and contact GECDC, then have them come to CC, submit paperwork, etc.  Also, Bob Stein should check if we have the necessary stock to give to them.
  • Janet: More information would be helpful, so we know how stuff will be recycled.
 
Dan M Requested Donation from Chicago House & Social Service Agency:
  • Discussion continued from the last meeting. Are there any updates? 
  • An email received by Matt:
Alex H
  • "My name is Alejandro Hernandez and I'm part of the Development team at Chicago House & Social Service Agency, a 31-year old nonprofit organization that serves individuals and families who are disenfranchised by HIV/AIDS and LGBTQ marginalization.
  • "I understand your organization provides low- and no-cost computing to nonprofit organizations. I want to learn more about that process to see if we qualify for any equipment you're willing to donate (or sell).
  • "One of our units currently houses about 15-16 adults. That unit is in desperate need of PCs, which is why I'm inquiring in the first place. Those PCs will help our clients, for example, apply for jobs or look for courses to take to continue their education."
  • Janet: Is this issue going to be resolved the same as the previous one?
  • Victor: Sure, I'll contact them, get them to attend CC, and ask staff if adequate stock is available.
  • Jason: Before we discuss donations, we need a short statement about each organization. Otherwise it takes at least 2 meetings before we can vote on donations.
  • Victor: Need for people to be assigned to tasks, or nothing gets done.
 
Dan M Website (Ken)
  • Last meeting we discussed Ken becoming the head of an ad hoc committee to update our website. We could vote on that this time. Any other discussion, or are we ready to vote?
Alex H
  • Ken said he'd work with Jarrod and help him w/the website, since he's already doing so much.
  • Like Victor said, I'll take the point here and make sure this gets done.
  • Gabriel: Sounds good. 
  • RACI model: Accountable, Responsible, Consulted, Informed. Helps to make business operations work better.
  • Makes sure relevant people know what is going on, someone takes point, and stuff goes forward.
  • Jason: This model would help with the network, since there have been problems with it.
  • Victor: Making sure Board has passwords in case of emergency is important. Ken: Alex, Matt, and I are working on it.
  • Dan: Again, we need to vote on Ken running the website, not other issues.
Vote: 9 yes, 1 abstention. Passed. 
 
  • New Items:
Visitors (Dan Marco):
  • Sometimes volunteers at FreeGeek have guests (like their parents, siblings, children, etc.).
  • Proposal: Visitors shouldn't have to do orientation if they are only going to be here once, but they should have to sign the waiver and agree to the code of conduct.
  • Gabriel: Sure! Sounds good. Not for shoppers, but people spending the day on it 
  • Victor: Let's vote on it soon, sounds good.
  •  Dan: We have to wait until the vote for next week.
  • Jason: Good idea.
  • Janet: Next meeting, let's vote on it. Even if it's rare.
 
Deal of the Week (Dan Marco/Ken Greene):
  • There are some issues with the Deal of the Week Program, and there are some ways to improve it. Computer, laptop, pair of speakers. A volunteer records a video for this item and it is posted on the social media. These deals aren't that low, and Evelyn Lopez needs more freedom to mark stuff down to get people in the door. 
  • Proposal:  Evelyn Lopez, may at her own discretion, offer a single Deal of the Week that has an up to 30% discount.
  • Victor: Sounds good, but needs to be part of a generalized marketing program. Also, Evelyn should be promoted to marketing person here at FG, since she's wearing a lot of marketing hats. Later on, I'll talk more about marketing.
  • November and December are big times of the year for sales. FG needs to be ready
  • Gabriel: One item sells quickly. What about a special discount on a group of things?
(General disagreement on deals on a class of things vs. a deal on a single item).
Ken: difference between used sales and new products. When stuff is sold, that's it. Maybe we can pivot when people miss the deal? 
Erick: What will be done as far as marketing? Victor: Let's talk about that next time. Ken: We can vote next time. We also need to ask Bob and Evelyn how much these deals have been bought.
Janet: Sounds good. Let's vote next week.
 
Hardware Grants (Gabriel):
  • They also have a nifty web form to gather information for hardware grant requests.
  • Maybe we can adopt something similar.
  • Alex: Gabriel, could you mock something up like that on Google Forms, so we can put that out in the website.? Gabriel: Sure, I can try. I'll work with Victor and Ken on this.
  • Dan: Also, please read through the hackpad on old discussions about donations, and use that on form that you create.
  • Gabriel: I'll make a Google Form, and talk to people about 
 
Network (Jason):
  • Faster connection needed. Network is slow.
  • Dan: Ken says he's researching a new internet provider. I've heard that there are network issues, but we don't need to make tons and tons of boxes. We've already got an oversupply. 
  • Victor: Can we afford a more expensive service, or will it solve the problem? There might be other issues.
  • Alex: I'm coming in on off days (Monday and Tuesdays) to research the network. I'm gonna fix up the apt-mirror (more storage). Then, figure out how to update the file server (which is very old and slow).
  • Jason: Stop build days until we get more stuff QA'ed? Dan: Problem is, there aren't enough people at a high enough level to do QA.
  • Gabriel: I can help Alex, I've done network troubleshooting before
  • Victor: Let's support Alex however we can. 
...
173 days ago
Unfiled. Edited by Janet Mitts 173 days ago
  • Old Items: 
Janet M Meet Victor, our new Board Treasurer!
 
  • Next Community Council Meeting Date: 
October 16, 2016
  • Shout-outs and Damn the Man:
Janet gives shout-out to all volunteers & staff. We're a reliable group, we simply get the job done...no hoops or loops!!
 
187 days ago
Unfiled. Edited by Alex Hanson , Janet Mitts 187 days ago
Alex H Legal Status of Community Council(Ken):
Ken Greene (Secretary) and Janet Mitts (President of the Board) met with a lawyer about FreeGeek's bylaws and constitution. 
 
  • New Items:
Victor (Janet Mitts):
Victor O. is our new Treasurer.
 
  • Held:
Server Improvements / Virtualization (Brandon):
Brandon demonstrates some possible improvements to our network and server infrastructure.
Why? Our old servers are very old and having some reliability problems (serving bad packages during build, running low on space, etc).
 
  • Next Community Council Meeting Date: 
 
Janet M
  • Shout-outs and Damn 
Janet gives shout-out to all volunteers & staff. Were helpful, happy & most are good dancer, better than Jolly Ranchers!
.
 

Contact Support



Please check out our How-to Guide and FAQ first to see if your question is already answered! :)

If you have a feature request, please add it to this pad. Thanks!


Log in / Sign up