Hackpads are smart collaborative documents. .

Victor Olavarria

116 days ago
Dan M Community Council Meeting Agenda and Notes for 10/30/2016
Alex H Meeting: Community Council 
Date: 10/30/2016
Location: FreeGeek Chicago
Facilitator: Janet Mitts
Note Taker: Alex Hanson
Time Keeper: Gabriel Rivera
Vote Counter: Bob Stein
Attendees: See below.
Number of Eligible Voters: 7  
Last Meeting Agenda: 10/16/16.
James S About this Meeting: Our Meeting Guidelines and Code-of-Conduct are available online.
 
Alex H
  • Attendance:
 
James S
  • Introductions (Facilitator, Standing Items):
 
Alex H
  • Announcements:
Dan M
  • All CC attendees: Please review the meeting notes on hackpad later and if necessary edit for accuracy re the discussion that took place.
  • Non-CC attendees: These notes are to document what happened at the meeting. Please don't add commentary or other things that didn't happen at the meeting itself. If you wish to respond to something, please start a new hackpad doc or discuss it on FGC's google talk list.
Alex H
  • FreeGeek's Community Council now uses paper ballets to count votes. Each meeting needs a volunteer to count the votes.
Birthday-Ween:
  • Yesterday, FreeGeek celebrated its' 11th anniversary and Halloween.
Power Supply Teardown:
  • Volunteers: Don't tear down power supplies unless you have been instructed how to do it.
  • Staff and Supervolunteers: Make sure there is someone watching new volunteers so that they don't tear down power supplies in the wrong way, or tear sheet metal in a dangerous way. 
Alex H
  •  Thanks to Howard for watching teardown and making sure that people tear things down the right way.
  • Yisrael: We need signs that say "If you don't know, ask!"
  • Agreed Action: Make sure someone experienced is always helping in Teardown. or: don't tear down power supplies if there are a lot of green volunteers in Teardown.
  • Old Items:
Proposed Policy on Visitors (Dan Marco):
  • Discussed previously, so it can be voted on today.
  • Proposal: Visitors shouldn't have to do orientation if they are only going to be here once, but they should have to sign the waiver and agree to the code of conduct.
  • Vote: 7/0/0. Passed
Proposed Policy on the Deal of the Week (Dan Marco):
  • Discussed previously, can be voted on.
Dan M
  • Proposal:  Evelyn Lopez, may at her own discretion, offer a single Deal of the Week per week that has an up to 30% discount. (The extra percentage is in order to give leeway for prices, so that they can be rounded to $5 or $10 increments.) Once the deal is sold, it's gone. 
Alex H
  • Vote: 7/0/0. Passed Again.
Black Friday Sale (Victor):
Dan M
  •  Is it "Black Friday" or "Small Business Saturday?" The description below suggests both by themselves.
Victor O
  • Friday November 25th during regular hours.
  • Special prices and sales will be extended until FreeGeek closes on holiday break.
  • Holiday Party is schedule for December 18th.
  • Goals:
  • Sales – $5,000
  • Units Sold – 70
  • New Volunteers – 25
  • Staff believes if volunteer wants to help they should come before the sale and volunteer.
Alex H
  • Volunteers should sign up before the event.
Victor O
  • Form of payment - Cash only.
Alex H
  • Board & Staff are working on a better solution for accepting payments in the future. Paypal has been problematic.
Dan M
  •  "No rewards either" should be explicitly stated, assuming it's a part of this.
  • Also, my assumption is that the Cash Only policy is just for the BF/SBS sale, not the "Rest of the Year" sale, is that correct?
Victor O
  • No online sales.
  • Stations available to make payments:        TBA
Alex H
  • Paid Staff will collect the money.
  • Yisrael: Don't collect money near the front door.
Victor O
  • Stations available for customers to try equipment:
  • More than 2 stations should be available.
  • Staff will limit the amount of customer on the building area.
  • No limit in the purchase of desktops.
  • Sale campaign committee
  • Staff is not clear who will make up this group.
Alex H
  • Who would like to help out?
Victor O
  • Staff does not need a budget.
  • Flyer will be designed in-house.
  • Staff will promote the event via social media, groups and organizations contacts, and volunteers.
  • Staff want volunteer to work on QA every Friday and Saturday until all the systems waiting to be checked are completed.  
  • Staff belief that Dan and Alex should have a say in this decision since they are the ones dealing directly with the volunteers.
  • List of staff that will be present during the event:
  • Evelyn
  • Terry (maybe)
  • Matt
  • Bob
  • List of inventory of items for sale:
  • Jarrod will do a spreadsheet of the inventory for sale.
  • List of volunteers that will be helping during the event:
  • Staff will need to pass a sign up sheet.
  • List of material needed for the sale.
  • None
  • Diagram of the setup for the event:
  • Door – build area – Table A (desktops) – Table B (monitors) – Table C (testing) – Laptop Room – Register.
  • Time-line
Alex H
  • Friday and Sunday leading to sale – QA by experienced volunteers until the event.
  • Alex will get some of the volunteers who are experienced to QA stuff.
Dan M
  • I'd like to reiterate my previously stated concern about this. Many of our volunteers don't build well [yet, hopefully] and by extension can't QA at all. Last year several items that  should have failed QA were passed by QA and sold.
Alex H
  • Agreed. Maynard and Robert do a good job, but everyone isn't at that level yet.
Dan M
  • Signing off. Have a tolerable meeting!
Victor O
  • Wednesday November 23rd – Prep.
  • Saturday November 26th – Sale and Clean up
  • Wednesday November 30th – Staff meeting – Feedback on sale and start of Holiday Sale
  • The sale will continue until FreeGeek closes for the holidays (Dec 18th).
Alex H Hardware Grants Policy (Gabriel):
  • Several non-profit organizations want hardware from FreeGeek.
  • Meant to get rid of our cheaper computers, and get friendly with similar non-for-profits.
  • Meant to get us some social media publicity.
  • There are some ways that this process could be improved.
  • Here is a link to a Google Form that Gabriel has been working on for organizations that want hardware donations from us.
  • It's a work in progress.
...

Contact Support



Please check out our How-to Guide and FAQ first to see if your question is already answered! :)

If you have a feature request, please add it to this pad. Thanks!


Log in / Sign up