All CC attendees: Please review the meeting notes on hackpad later, and if necessary edit for accuracy regarding the discussion that took place.
Non-CC attendees: These notes are to document what happened at the meeting. Please don't add commentary or other things that didn't happen at the meeting itself. If you wish to respond to something, please start a new hackpad document or discuss it on FGC's google talk list.
Ken: I've got some fliers here (reads out the details on the fliers). Any questions, ask Bob S. or Ken.
Ken: We'd like to all the old desktop computers out by the end of the year.
Ken: Please take some fliers and give them out to your friends.
Dan: Does "Cash Only" apply to reduced priced desktops? Bob S.: Only in the desktop area. Laptops can be paid for by other methods.
Jason: Victor said that we need the money, so we should cut prices on our high-end stuff.
Ken: I'll work with volunteers in making an inventory sheet so that we can check customers out more quickly.
IT Management Policy(Alex Hanson/Gabriel Rivera):
Making a policy and a working group for our IT improvement (Alex H., Gabriel R., Will, Lucian,other assorted volunteers).
Building an application server (using virtualization).
A written proposal will be ready to present to the next session of community council.
Hardware Grants Policy(Gabriel Rivera):
Hardware Grants: requests for hardware from other nonprofit organizations.
Progress: Gabriel created an online form for prospective recipients.
Working with Victor on this.
Making sure that we have enough hardware to give out.
Possibly offering a purchase (at a reduced rate).
Working w/ Ken to adding the Google form to the current website.
Setting a policy for responding to these requests (authentication, response, etc).
Dan: Is the form live? Can we check it out? Gabriel: yes, on the previous meeting's hackpad.
FreeGeek Chicago Governance (Ken Greene):
Problem of difference between legally binding charter and FreeGeek's constitution.
Leads to difficulty getting things done. Also makes getting board insurance (protection from liability) difficult.
Suggesting a tripartite structure (Community Representatives, Board of Directors, Employees) instead, which would be legally easier to deal with.
Jason: High level governance: legal issues, finances vs Low Level governance: donations, etc.
Ken: Sure, but we need to get something soon that is both effective, legal and respects the history of community leadership at FreeGeek.
Gabriel: Sounds like a good idea. Getting some projects done has been difficult due to figuring out who is in charge of what.
Dan: If we approve this three part structure, is there any chance that staff will approve this? They tend to be busy (because they have other work to do, but).
Ken: Yes. A representative would be mandatory. Group meetings would be once a month. With staff membership in the decision making process, staff attitude would be improved and they'd be more responsive.
Ken: efficiency is important. Finances are bad, and we need more sales and successful projects.
Jason: Do you have a possible draft of a new constitution?
Ken: Not yet. But hoping to do it soon
Dan: Include CC in new bylaws? Board members already participate in CC, so there's already board participation in decision-making.
Ken: Board wasn't set up right by founders, therefore Janet got stuck out as a figurehead. Legal target if anything goes wrong. Need to get her protected, and get a more effective way to make decisions at speed.
Erick: When I got here, I thought the CC governed the org. I thought the board was a figurehead.
Gabriel: sounds good to me. organizations need to change over time.
Ken: I've been consulting a lawyer for advice on this program.
Alex: It's an acceptable idea to me, as long as:
There is a document in front of us that we can discuss.
Board handles staff review and HR.
Staff reports regularly.
Dan: Reporting was already mandated in the old constitution. What makes you so sure that this new constitution will make sure that happens?
Ken: Any serious objections, talk to me after the meeting. I'll talk to the staff and board in the last meeting of the year and relay any concerns.
Gabriel: Our new documentation system may make building a new organizational structure easier.
Graphics Cards (Jason/Peter):
Jason: Peter and I have a Google Spreadsheet of all the graphics cards we've tested.
Jason: We want to do some more inventory of the shed.
Janet: Work with me on this, because I know how people get around here. Politics can be messy here.
Gabriel: As long as you let everyone know what yr working on, everything will go along.
Alex: Can you work on optical drives and motherboards next?
Jason and Alex will work on making the Google Spreadsheet more available to the public.
Underage Volunteers & Waivers (Gabriel Rivera):
Underage students are usually good, but some can be flaky (playing w/cellphones during safety lectures, etc). I'm concerned that they won't bring in their waivers next time, then get hurt and cause trouble for FreeGeek.
Request: Ask new members if they've submitted waivers during the community meeting.
Ken: New website, using CiviCRM will throw a flag when people haven't submitted their waivers.
Jason: Speed up orientation so that younger folks don't tune out.
Janet: I'm always checking in on the younger folks and making sure they're well behaved.
Any discussions about hardware donations to other organizations will be continued after the November 26th sale is finished.
We'll talk about Matt and Jarrod's Alternate rewards policy after the sale is finished. Ken will talk with Matt and Jarrod about this, next time he sees them.
Next Community Council Meeting Date:
Shout-outs and Damn the Man:
Janet gives Shout-out to all volunteers & staff. We're not ancient or zealous. We can be very agreeable over some Peanut Butter & Jelly!
All CC attendees: Please review the meeting notes on hackpad later and if necessary edit for accuracy re the discussion that took place.
Non-CC attendees: These notes are to document what happened at the meeting. Please don't add commentary or other things that didn't happen at the meeting itself. If you wish to respond to something, please start a new hackpad doc or discuss it on FGC's google talk list.
Proposal: Evelyn Lopez, may at her own discretion, offer a single Deal of the Week per week that has an up to 30% discount. (The extra percentage is in order to give leeway for prices, so that they can be rounded to $5 or $10 increments.) Once the deal is sold, it's gone.
I'd like to reiterate my previously stated concern about this. Many of our volunteers don't build well [yet, hopefully] and by extension can't QA at all. Last year several items that should have failed QA were passed by QA and sold.