Hackpads are smart collaborative documents. .

Gabriel Rivera

131 days ago
Unfiled. Edited by Alex Hanson , Gabriel Rivera 131 days ago
Meeting: Community Council 
Date: 11/13/2016
Location: FreeGeek Chicago
Facilitator: Janet Mitts
Note Taker: Alex Hanson
Time Keeper: Ken Greene
Vote Counter:
Attendees: See the photo below.
Number of Eligible Voters:  10
 
 
  • All CC attendees: Please review the meeting notes on hackpad later, and if necessary edit for accuracy regarding the discussion that took place.
  • Non-CC attendees: These notes are to document what happened at the meeting. Please don't add commentary or other things that didn't happen at the meeting itself. If you wish to respond to something, please start a new hackpad document or discuss it on FGC's google talk list.
 
Ken: I've got some fliers here (reads out the details on the fliers). Any questions, ask Bob S. or Ken.
Ken: We'd like to all the old desktop computers out by the end of the year.
Ken: Please take some fliers and give them out to your friends.
Dan: Does "Cash Only" apply to reduced priced desktops? Bob S.: Only in the desktop area. Laptops can be paid for by other methods.
Jason: Victor said that we need the money, so we should cut prices on our high-end stuff.
Ken: I'll work with volunteers in making an inventory sheet so that we can check customers out more quickly.
IT Management Policy (Alex Hanson/Gabriel Rivera):
  • Making a policy and a working group for our IT improvement (Alex H., Gabriel R., Will, Lucian,other assorted volunteers). 
  • Making sure that operations continue, even as volunteers and staff come and go.
  • Possible Deliverables:
  • Creating a documentation system (Open KM). ->
  • Backup System/Disaster Recovery/Business Continuity Plan.
  • Building an application server (using virtualization).
  • A written proposal will be ready to present to the next session of community council.
Hardware Grants Policy (Gabriel Rivera):
Hardware Grants: requests for hardware from other nonprofit organizations.
Progress: Gabriel created an online form for prospective recipients.
Next actions: 
  • Working with Victor on this. 
  • Making sure that we have enough hardware to give out. 
  • Possibly offering a purchase (at a reduced rate). 
  • Working w/ Ken to adding the Google form to the current website. 
  • Setting a policy for responding to these requests (authentication, response, etc).
Dan: Is the form live? Can we check it out? Gabriel: yes, on the previous meeting's hackpad.
 
FreeGeek Chicago Governance (Ken Greene)
Problem of difference between legally binding charter and FreeGeek's constitution. 
Leads to difficulty getting things done. Also makes getting board insurance (protection from liability) difficult. 
Suggesting a tripartite structure (Community Representatives, Board of Directors, Employees) instead, which would be legally easier to deal with. 
Jason: High level governance: legal issues, finances vs Low Level governance: donations, etc. 
Ken: Sure, but we need to get something soon that is both effective, legal and respects the history of community leadership at FreeGeek. 
Gabriel: Sounds like a good idea. Getting some projects done has been difficult due to figuring out who is in charge of what.
Dan: If we approve this three part structure, is there any chance that staff will approve this? They tend to be busy (because they have other work to do, but).
Ken: Yes. A representative would be mandatory. Group meetings would be once a month. With staff membership in the decision making process, staff attitude would be improved and they'd be more responsive. 
Ken: efficiency is important. Finances are bad, and we need more sales and successful projects.
Jason: Do you have a possible draft of a new constitution?
Ken: Not yet. But hoping to do it soon
Dan: Include CC in new bylaws? Board members already participate in CC, so there's already board participation in decision-making.
Ken: Board wasn't set up right by founders, therefore Janet got stuck out as a figurehead. Legal target if anything goes wrong. Need to get her protected, and get a more effective way to make decisions at speed.
Erick: When I got here, I thought the CC governed the org. I thought the board was a figurehead.
Gabriel: sounds good to me. organizations need to change over time.
Ken: I've been consulting a lawyer for advice on this program. 
Alex: It's an acceptable idea to me, as long as: 
  • There is a document in front of us that we can discuss. 
  • Board handles staff review and HR. 
  • Staff reports regularly.
Dan: Reporting was already mandated in the old constitution. What makes you so sure that this new constitution will make sure that happens?
Ken: Any serious objections, talk to me after the meeting. I'll talk to the staff and board in the last meeting of the year and relay any concerns.
Gabriel: Our new documentation system may make building a new organizational structure easier.  
 
  • New Items:
Graphics Cards (Jason/Peter):
Jason: Peter and I have a Google Spreadsheet of all the graphics cards we've tested.
Jason: We want to do some more inventory of the shed.
Janet: Work with me on this, because I know how people get around here. Politics can be messy here. 
Gabriel: As long as you let everyone know what yr working on, everything will go along.
Alex: Can you work on optical drives and motherboards next?
Jason and Alex will work on making the Google Spreadsheet more available to the public. 
 
Underage Volunteers & Waivers (Gabriel Rivera):
Underage students are usually good, but some can be flaky (playing w/cellphones during safety lectures, etc). I'm concerned that they won't bring in their waivers next time, then get hurt and cause trouble for FreeGeek. 
Request: Ask new members if they've submitted waivers during the community meeting.
Ken: New website, using CiviCRM will throw a flag when people haven't submitted their waivers.
Jason: Speed up orientation so that younger folks don't tune out.
Janet: I'm always checking in on the younger folks and making sure they're well behaved.
 
  • Held:
  • Any discussions about hardware donations to other organizations will be continued after the November 26th sale is finished.
  • We'll talk about Matt and Jarrod's Alternate rewards policy after the sale is finished. Ken will talk with Matt and Jarrod about this, next time he sees them.
 
  • Next Community Council Meeting Date: 
  • 11/27/16
 
  • Shout-outs and Damn the Man:
  • Janet gives Shout-out to all volunteers & staff. We're not ancient or zealous. We can be very agreeable over some Peanut Butter & Jelly!
  • Alex: Gabriel, for taking care of orientation.
  • Ken: Janet, Alex, Bob for running CC.
 
145 days ago
Dan M Community Council Meeting Agenda and Notes for 10/30/2016
Alex H Meeting: Community Council 
Date: 10/30/2016
Location: FreeGeek Chicago
Facilitator: Janet Mitts
Note Taker: Alex Hanson
Time Keeper: Gabriel Rivera
Vote Counter: Bob Stein
Attendees: See below.
Number of Eligible Voters: 7  
Last Meeting Agenda: 10/16/16.
James S About this Meeting: Our Meeting Guidelines and Code-of-Conduct are available online.
 
Alex H
  • Attendance:
 
James S
  • Introductions (Facilitator, Standing Items):
 
Alex H
  • Announcements:
Dan M
  • All CC attendees: Please review the meeting notes on hackpad later and if necessary edit for accuracy re the discussion that took place.
  • Non-CC attendees: These notes are to document what happened at the meeting. Please don't add commentary or other things that didn't happen at the meeting itself. If you wish to respond to something, please start a new hackpad doc or discuss it on FGC's google talk list.
Alex H
  • FreeGeek's Community Council now uses paper ballets to count votes. Each meeting needs a volunteer to count the votes.
Birthday-Ween:
  • Yesterday, FreeGeek celebrated its' 11th anniversary and Halloween.
Power Supply Teardown:
  • Volunteers: Don't tear down power supplies unless you have been instructed how to do it.
  • Staff and Supervolunteers: Make sure there is someone watching new volunteers so that they don't tear down power supplies in the wrong way, or tear sheet metal in a dangerous way. 
Alex H
  •  Thanks to Howard for watching teardown and making sure that people tear things down the right way.
  • Yisrael: We need signs that say "If you don't know, ask!"
  • Agreed Action: Make sure someone experienced is always helping in Teardown. or: don't tear down power supplies if there are a lot of green volunteers in Teardown.
  • Old Items:
Proposed Policy on Visitors (Dan Marco):
  • Discussed previously, so it can be voted on today.
  • Proposal: Visitors shouldn't have to do orientation if they are only going to be here once, but they should have to sign the waiver and agree to the code of conduct.
  • Vote: 7/0/0. Passed
Proposed Policy on the Deal of the Week (Dan Marco):
  • Discussed previously, can be voted on.
Dan M
  • Proposal:  Evelyn Lopez, may at her own discretion, offer a single Deal of the Week per week that has an up to 30% discount. (The extra percentage is in order to give leeway for prices, so that they can be rounded to $5 or $10 increments.) Once the deal is sold, it's gone. 
Alex H
  • Vote: 7/0/0. Passed Again.
Black Friday Sale (Victor):
Dan M
  •  Is it "Black Friday" or "Small Business Saturday?" The description below suggests both by themselves.
Victor O
  • Friday November 25th during regular hours.
  • Special prices and sales will be extended until FreeGeek closes on holiday break.
  • Holiday Party is schedule for December 18th.
  • Goals:
  • Sales – $5,000
  • Units Sold – 70
  • New Volunteers – 25
  • Staff believes if volunteer wants to help they should come before the sale and volunteer.
Alex H
  • Volunteers should sign up before the event.
Victor O
  • Form of payment - Cash only.
Alex H
  • Board & Staff are working on a better solution for accepting payments in the future. Paypal has been problematic.
Dan M
  •  "No rewards either" should be explicitly stated, assuming it's a part of this.
  • Also, my assumption is that the Cash Only policy is just for the BF/SBS sale, not the "Rest of the Year" sale, is that correct?
Victor O
  • No online sales.
  • Stations available to make payments:        TBA
Alex H
  • Paid Staff will collect the money.
  • Yisrael: Don't collect money near the front door.
Victor O
  • Stations available for customers to try equipment:
  • More than 2 stations should be available.
  • Staff will limit the amount of customer on the building area.
  • No limit in the purchase of desktops.
  • Sale campaign committee
  • Staff is not clear who will make up this group.
Alex H
  • Who would like to help out?
Victor O
  • Staff does not need a budget.
  • Flyer will be designed in-house.
  • Staff will promote the event via social media, groups and organizations contacts, and volunteers.
  • Staff want volunteer to work on QA every Friday and Saturday until all the systems waiting to be checked are completed.  
  • Staff belief that Dan and Alex should have a say in this decision since they are the ones dealing directly with the volunteers.
  • List of staff that will be present during the event:
  • Evelyn
  • Terry (maybe)
  • Matt
  • Bob
  • List of inventory of items for sale:
  • Jarrod will do a spreadsheet of the inventory for sale.
  • List of volunteers that will be helping during the event:
  • Staff will need to pass a sign up sheet.
  • List of material needed for the sale.
  • None
  • Diagram of the setup for the event:
  • Door – build area – Table A (desktops) – Table B (monitors) – Table C (testing) – Laptop Room – Register.
  • Time-line
Alex H
  • Friday and Sunday leading to sale – QA by experienced volunteers until the event.
  • Alex will get some of the volunteers who are experienced to QA stuff.
Dan M
  • I'd like to reiterate my previously stated concern about this. Many of our volunteers don't build well [yet, hopefully] and by extension can't QA at all. Last year several items that  should have failed QA were passed by QA and sold.
Alex H
  • Agreed. Maynard and Robert do a good job, but everyone isn't at that level yet.
Dan M
  • Signing off. Have a tolerable meeting!
Victor O
  • Wednesday November 23rd – Prep.
  • Saturday November 26th – Sale and Clean up
  • Wednesday November 30th – Staff meeting – Feedback on sale and start of Holiday Sale
  • The sale will continue until FreeGeek closes for the holidays (Dec 18th).
Alex H Hardware Grants Policy (Gabriel):
  • Several non-profit organizations want hardware from FreeGeek.
  • Meant to get rid of our cheaper computers, and get friendly with similar non-for-profits.
  • Meant to get us some social media publicity.
  • There are some ways that this process could be improved.
  • Here is a link to a Google Form that Gabriel has been working on for organizations that want hardware donations from us.
  • It's a work in progress.
...

Contact Support



Please check out our How-to Guide and FAQ first to see if your question is already answered! :)

If you have a feature request, please add it to this pad. Thanks!


Log in / Sign up