All CC attendees: Please review the meeting notes on our hackpad later and if necessary edit for accuracy regarding the discussion that took place.
Non-CC attendees: These notes are to document what happened at the meeting. Please don't add commentary or other things that didn't happen at the meeting itself. If you wish to respond to something, please start a new hackpad doc or discuss it on FGC's google talk list.
Did Ken Greene follow up with them?
Did they submit a proposal?
Ken: No update. Tabled for today.
AEIOU Laptop Donation:
They want 2-4 laptops from FreeGeek for a computer education program in preschools and daycare centers. Mainly in low income communities. Already have 12 laptops and several tablets.
Did Terri get any additional information from them?
They posted something odd about FreeGeek on a volunteering site, and people have some questions about it.
Some promotional language seemed to imply a relationship to FGC that hasn't been cemented as of yet.
Cleon from AEIOU is here to answer any questions from the community.
Talked to Matt in November 2015. Didn't know he could present to CC and get a hardware grant from FreeGeek. Instead, he brought in some volunteers who gave him the laptops that they earned by volunteering at FreeGeek Chicago. He wouldn't have done this if he didn't know that all he had to do to get laptops for his non-profit organization was to ask the CC.
Terri: I need to talk to Matt about how this was all arranged. He didn't say anything to me about this.
Paul: Need background on the org. Cleon: Sure!
Alex: Read previous notes for more details on AEIOU.
Ken: Tabled, for more discussion by community
Janet: Cleon, please come back at the next CC meeting and we'll talk more about the issue.
Does anybody know somebody who could make a good treasurer?
Would FGC be open to having a board member who is outside the community?
Dan knows someone who is experienced at being a board member elsewhere.
Paul: How does the board handle FreeGeek's money?
Dan: Generally, the money in this case is from FreeGeek's sales. The treasurer supervises the staff's handling of money.
Ken: Let's have a big meeting in two weeks, and maybe we can discuss new board members. I'll meet with the other board members, then meet with board + staff, then we can all discuss the issues.
Communication with Staff (Dan Marco):
FreeGeek has a constitution, linked on our website. One of the elements of the constitution is that Staff should report about activities regularly. Granted, all employees here are part time, and are busy. But there hasn't been much information in a long time. Dan had to fill timesheets on regular basis at his old job, so why not here?
Terri: I send reports to coleagues on staff, about my activities.
Dan: It doesn't have to be a huge report, just a small paragraph here and there would be helpful for the CC/general public.
Israel: We need some type of core understanding to the org. Not being rigid is one thing, but antiestablishment can only go so far. We need some structure.
Grant: Problem is not that we don't have an underlying structure, but that we used to have one but the people here now aren't sure what it is. If the person who is "in charge" doesn't think they're in charge and don 't know they're in charge then everything breaks down.
Ken: Difference between day-to-day build volunteering time structural problems vs core structural problems. Jason's example is more day-to-day. If nobody volunteers for a position (ie parts) then nobody does it. If you think you can do it, volunteer to be the parts person (for example). I'd like to make a proposal in the near future regarding a reorganization of the organization's day-to-day operation.
Alberto: if he's waiting 45 minutes for a power supply, nobody has the right to argue about it.
Israel: Reach out to Matt. If he can't attend then at least get his feedback to present to CC.
Grant: It depends on if we want to stick to Ku/Xubuntu. If we want to stick with them in 16.04 we should wait a little because they're still buggy. In terms of separate issue, we could install Mint, or puppy for cheper desktops.
Terry: How long LTS should we use? Dan: At least 3.
Ken: If we wait for the LTS to expire, are we going to wait until 2019 to change then? It's a long time.
Grant: Regardless of how long it's supported for, the problem is that the difference between Ubuntu and something like Linux Lite is that Ubuntu is sticking around. Linux Lite, who knows if it will still be around later? Confidence on continued existence of a given OS.
Dan: We don't need to make the decision today, but we should think about it today so that when we NEED to change we're not caught sleeping.
Grant: Is the poll going to be taken into account? Dan: IDK.
For now we're using Mint on iMacs. We should install a preseed rather than having to install manually for ease of use. I wrote an installer script but I had to hack it up good to figure anything out. If it was preseeded then it would be much easier.
Ken: Didn't we talk about going to Apple OS on iMacs? Steve: it was specifically about laptops. Ken: point was, do we have the legality in our favor about licensing. We should look into that. Perhaps look into installing Apple software on iMacs.
Jason: Anything Lion and beyond is free and you can make bootalbe media. Ken: That might be personal, not business agreements. If you're installing as a buisness there's a seoparate license. We can't install Microsoft without a license, we need to see if Apple has the same rules.
Grant: Not much difference. Hard to explain, easy to do.
Terry: In the past, if we couldn't install Linux we sold them without an OS. We'd need to warranty-support Mac OS otherwise.
I added an install script for iMacs to the Github account, but after I added the request I realized I don't know who is in charge of the Github account and who accepts requests. But right now Benjamin (the one current person) is out of town so nobody is there, and there are many more things to change. How do we deal with all of this?
Terry: if Alex was here he might have a response. Grant: He said that James is still in charge even though he's not here any more.
Grant: We have a lot of issues with the install script that haven't been addressed since 2015.
ELGIBILE VOTERS (Terry)
If an issue comes up where something needs to be voted on, we should have paper ballots instead of a verbal/raised hand response. We should have a piece of paper with Yes/No/Abstention and a check off. Like a real election.
Janet: we do a show of hands. Dan, Terry: that's bad for reasons already said.
Erick: Is this a proposal? Terry: Yes. So then it will be voted on at the next meeting.
Aliberto: If someone doesn't vote by raising the hand, what would be the process? Terry: it's only for eligible voters.
Grant: I agree with private votes. It is important. A majority rules no matter what the process is.
Is there a second to the proposal? Dan: Me.
We'll vote on that next time.
Next Community Council Meeting Date: July 24, 2016
Shout-outs and Damn the Man:
Janet MJanet gives shout-out to all volunteers & staff. We love Life & Living. But, also important, we really enjoy our giving!